Explain about salesforce workflow and when to use Salesforce workflow
A workflow rule is triggered based upon pre-defined criteria. The workflow rule triggers workflow actions which can update fields, send emails, task create and outbound message.
Workflow Rules Criteria:
- When a record is created, or when a record is edited and did not previously meet the rule criteria
- Only when a record is created
- Every time a record is created or edited (may not be used in conjunction with time-based workflow actions)
Filter criteria must be entered as well, same functionality as a report but is required.
Workflow actions can do one of the following:
- Create tasks
- Send emails. There are some limitations here- for instance, whoever activates the workflow rule will be the sender of the email (from cannot be set).
- Update fields. There are some limitations here- for instance, you cannot update a lookup field.
- Send outbound message (used to send information to external services).
Workflow actions are either: