Sales force Deployment Tool:
Given below are advantage and limitation of tools which are used in code and configuration changes deployment from Sandbox to Production.
- The Force.com Migration Tool is the Java/Ant-based command-line utility for moving metadata (Data about data) between a local directory and a Salesforce organization. Ant tool through Proxy Server for deployment edit build, package xml files code.
- We need JAVA and ant-salesforce.jar and other library files for deployment which is open source. For this user should be aware of java technology.
- Easy to redeploy and casino user can retrieve specific Objects, Fields, Validation Rule, Workflow etc.
- Faster as compare to other deployment tool like Eclipse IDE.
- When deploying to a production organization, all Apex test methods are run automatically. You cannot specify which tests to run.
- We can retrieve custom field, validation rule and the workflow declare in package xml file. Same as package in java language.
- Difficult to proxy configuration and the editing xml files like build/package/manifest etc.
- There is no graphical user interface (GUI) for deployment and complex flow to understand deployment so it is more complex to understand. Only user should be able to run commands.
- Connectivity – Problems connecting to an organization or polling for results. Get an error ‘Request Timeout’ or ‘Connection failed’ most of the time. This is the one the big limitation.