Tata Consultancy Services Placement Paper For Freshers Part-2
11. Eesha has a wheat business. She purchases wheat from a local wholesaler of a particular cost per pound. The price of the wheat of her stores is $3 per kg. Her faulty spring balance reads 0.9 kg for a KG. Also in the festival season, she gives a 10% discount on the wheat. She found that she made neither a profit nor a loss in the festival season. At what price did Eesha purchase the wheat from the wholesaler ?
Explanation: Faulty spring balance reads 0.9 kg for a kg” means that she sells 1 kg for the price of 0.9 kgs, so she looses 10% of the price because of the faulty spring balance. She looses another 10% because of the discount.So, she actually sells 1 kg for $3×0.9×0.9=$2.43 and since at that price she made neither a profit nor a loss, then Eesha purchase the wheat from the wholesaler for $2.43.
12. Raj goes to market to buy oranges. If he can bargain and reduce the price per orange by Rs.2, he can buy 30 oranges instead of 20 oranges with the money he has. How much money does he have ?
Explanation: Let the money with Raj is M. So M20?M30=2. Check options. Option D satisfies.
13. A city in the US has a basketball league with three basketball teams, the Aziecs, the Braves and the Celtics. A sports writer notices that the tallest player of the Aziecs is shorter than the shortest player of the Braves. The shortest of the Celtics is shorter than the shortest of the Aziecs, while the tallest of the Braves is shorter than the tallest of the Celtics. The tallest of the Braves is taller than the tallest of the Aziecs.
Which of the following can be judged with certainty ?
X) Paul, a Brave is taller than David, an Aziec
Y) David, a Celtic, is shorter than Edward, an Aziec
a. Both X and Y
b. X only
c. Y only
d. Neither X nor Y
Sol: We solve this problem by taking numbers. Let the shortest of Braves is 4 feet. Then tallest of Aziecs is less than 4. So let it be 3 feet.
A -> 2 – 3
B -> 4 – 6
C -> 1 – 7
From the above we can safely conclude X is correct. but Y cannot be determined.
14. There are 3 classes having 20, 24 and 30 students respectively having average marks in an examination as 20,25 and 30 respectively. The three classes are represented by A, B and C and you have the following information about the three classes.
a. In class A highest score is 22 and lowest score is 18
b. In class B highest score is 31 and lowest score is 23
c. In class C highest score is 33 and lowest score is 26.
If five students are transferred from A to B, what can be said about the average score of A; and what will happen to the average score of C in a transfer of 5 students from B to C ?
a. definite decrease in both cases
b. can’t be determined in both cases
c. definite increase in both cases
d. will remain constant in both cases
Class A average is 20. And their range is 18 to 22
Class B average is 25. And their range is 23 to 31
Class A average is 30. And their range is 26 to 33
If 5 students transferred from A to B, A’s average cannot be determined but B’s average comes down as the highest score of A is less than lowest score of B.
If 5 students transferred from B to C, C’s average cannot be determined the B’s range fo marks and C’s range of marks are overlapping.
15. The value of a scooter depreciates in such a way that its value of the end of each year is 3/4 of its value of the beginning of the same year. If the initial value of the scooter is Rs.40,000, what is the value at the end of 3 years ?
16. Rajiv can do a piece of work in 10 days , Venky in 12 days and Ravi in 15 days. They all start the work together, but Rajiv leaves after 2 days and Venky leaves 3 days before the work is completed. In how many days is the work completed ?
Explanation: Let the work be 60 units. If venky worked for 3 days, and the remaining days of work be x days, total days to complete the work be x + 3 days.
Now Capacities of Rajiv is 60/10 = 6, Venky is 5, Ravi is 4.
(6 + 5 + 4) 2 + (5 + 4) (x – 3) + 5 x 3 = 60.
Solving we get x = 4. So total days to complete the work is 7 days.
17. A man has a job, which requires him to work 8 straight days and rest on the ninth day. If he started work on Monday, find the day of the week on which he gets his 12th rest day.
He works for 8 days and takes rest on the 9th day. So On the 12th rest day, there are 9 x 12 = 108 days passed. Number of odd days = (108 – 1) / 7 = 107 / 7 = 2. So the 12th rest day is wednesday.