Each of your opportunities has a Stage picklist value that automatically maps to a Forecast Category value. The forecast category determines what column in your forecast will include the opportunity amount and if the amount contributes to your forecast at all.
The values are Best Case, Closed, Commit, Omitted and Pipeline. Forecast categories cannot be renamed.
- Best Case includes amounts you are likely to close, closed/won opportunity amounts, and amounts in the Commit category.
- Closed includes amounts for closed/won opportunities.
- Commit includes amounts you are confident about closing and closed/won opportunity amounts.
- Omitted means the amount does not contribute to your forecast.
- Pipeline includes amounts from all open opportunities.
Navigate to Setup > Customize > Opportunities > Fields > Forecast Category (Standard Field)